Thursday, February 14, 2008

Another fun day of letterboxing

We had a full day of fun today! It started with us leaving the house at about 9:45am to head to Tyler. We had planned on taking the kids to the zoo then do some letterbox hunting.
Once we were just outside of Tyler we stopped for lunch at this new Exxon truck stop called Smokehouse something. It was the neatest truck stop I have ever seen! The bathroom sinks were so cool!!! They had a sonic inside so me and the kids ate that, while Scott and Kimberly had barbecue that was at another eating place inside.
After that we headed to the zoo. It was the BEST day ever for the zoo!!! I'm not exaggerating, I counted 24 people there besides us! (Not counting the workers) It's like we had the entire zoo to ourselves! It was so cool!! Our favorite was the white tiger. He was right up against the glass. It was neat being so close to him. Yet at the same time it was kind of scary. He kept looking at Christopher like he wanted to eat him. LOL
After the zoo we started on our hunting journey for letterboxes. We had clues to 13 boxes but only had time to find 5 b/c it started getting dark.
The first box we found was actually in a scary place. It was in a run down park in a not so good part of town. On the clue it actually said not to go there at night by yourself. LOL So the kids and I stayed in the car while Scott went and found the box. I was glad to get away from that one. LOL
Then we went to the Tyler Rose Garden. That place would be so neat to go to in the spring and summer when the flowers are in bloom. We'll have to go back there at that time.
The third place was at Rose Rudman Park. There were 2 boxes hidden there. The first one had a neat catch to it. There was a temperature gauge hidden inside so we were supposed to put in the log book what the temp was on the day that we found it. It was 65 degrees today. :)
The next box there was real special. It was at a cancer bell pavilion. It was a bell that represented all those who had lost their lives to cancer or are fighting the battle or have won. After we read the plaque there we rung the bell. It was a special moment. Then we found the box.
After that it was time to head to the last stop, Camp Ford. We found that one just in time before the sun went down.
This was the best day ever! Oh, I forgot to mention how it started before we left. I woke up to a dozen red roses, bag of M&M's, and a journal that had the sweetest, most romantic words from my wonderful husband. He told me to leave the journal out every night so that when I wake up each morning I can see something new that he wrote while I was sleeping. Isn't that sweet? :)
Ok, now for the pictures of today. First off zoo pics!






Letterboxing pics!
This was the scary park.


This was where the box was hidden at the rose garden.


After finding box 3 & 4 we headed off the path to take a short cut back to the car. :)




Camp Ford


No comments: